Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Gall of it All

Sorry for the lack of updates, but Mama has not been feeling well. I am fine and spending lots of time with my grandmothers. Grandma Betty came up for a few days to take care of us, and I'm currently with Antema.

We were able to go home on Saturday in the evening. Mama was not making enough breast milk to support me. Once we figured this out and got some stored breast milk, I stopped losing weight so rapidly and they allowed me to go home. I am still getting supplemented with formula mixed with Mama's milk.

On Sunday evening, Mama began to suffer from a sharp pain under her right ribs. I had my first Doctor's appointment on Monday and Lona (the Nurse Practitioner Mama's been seeing for a while) drew some blood. I was healthy, Mama was not. The pain continued to intensify and on Tuesday Mama finally admitted that she could not take it any more.

So I went to visit Antema and Mama went to the Hospital closer to our home.

They found that Mama had gall bladder stones and that it was probably causing the pain. She also had an elevated white blood cell count consistent with an infection. So she ended up having to stay in the hospital, with IV antibiotics and several imaging studies. The nuclear scan showed that the gall bladder is functioning normally, and some bouts of pain might mean that the stone was finally passed, so she did not need emergency surgeries. (Mama was quite sure that she was not up to two surgeries in a week!)

She should be released to go home tomorrow and we will be reunited. We miss each other a lot!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my.. Get well soon, Regan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's just cruel and unusual. Hope you are feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there little guy and mama. That's so frustrating! Absence may make hearts grow fonder but this one sucks!

    ReplyDelete