Thursday, May 28, 2009

May 27 - The rest of the story

I'm going to let Mama tell this from her perspective:

The "day" started yesterday evening with some medication to soften the cervix in preparation for induction. I had one attempt at an IV that was not successful in the left arm, and then one in my right hand that was. I got over my unease with it. They started me on IV clindamycin (antibiotic.)

At 5:30 this morning they started my pitocin drip to induce labor. I dilated to just over 3 cm and Dr. Jones checked me and told me that I could have my epidural at any time. Bill got back from breakfast and the anesthesiologist showed up at about 9 am.

The epidural was WONDERFUL. Bill commented that he had not seen me so relaxed in months. My hips and low back did not hurt for several hours and was able to sleep comfortably for several hours. I fully dilated by 1 pm and got ready to push.

However, Russell was "sunny side up" with his back up against mine. So we tried some odd positions to try to get him to turn. During some of these antics, my epidural must have slipped. I started to be able to feel the contractions, which I thought was on purpose, but evidently was not.

I pushed while laying down, and then in an almost upright position using the raised head of the bed where I started squatting, then we tried pushing with me on my side. Only minor progress was made. The charge nurse came in and remembered that they had a bar that could be used for squatting pushes. This was the most comfortable for me, but also the most tiring. The pain continued to be more intense, so I asked for a bolus through the epidural.

Dr. Jones came in at about 4:30 and agreed to try to use some suction on his head to help him through the pelvis. We tried it, but he still appeared to be stuck. At that point, I signed the consent form for a cesarean section.

That's where it became apparent that the epidural was no longer working. Three large doses of drugs later and still able to feel a lot of pain, I agreed to general anesthetic. They wheeled me into the surgical suite and I watched a syringe of medication go into the IV. Within a minute or two, I felt nothing else. I woke up about an hour and a half later, very slowly, in the postpartum room. Russell had been cleaned and wrapped and was in the bassinet. Bill was able to be with me in the room during the delivery and stayed with Russell during his first bath, plus the weighing and such.

He took some pictures--which is good because I missed it all.



This is us last night--me exhausted and Russell not wanting to eat--so we just cuddled and eventually fell asleep.

It was a very long "day" all the way around!

No comments:

Post a Comment