Sunday, March 1, 2009

Guest post--"The Bear"


Regan here--

Several years ago--long before Russell was a thought that crossed my mind--I was at a giant benefit "garage sale" at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. Towards the end of the day, they were all but giving things away to save them from at trip to the dump.

I found an old, beaten up stuffed bear. Obviously this guy had been well loved, and I am sentimental enough that I couldn't stand the thought of him being cast away forever. So I picked him up--and figured that I would find a child for him. For the last several years, I've been waiting.

We found the bear in a box last night, in a pile of things to be set aside for Russell. My friend June was looking at the stuffed toys with an eye towards safety. Most of our stuffed animals do not pass the safety test--but the bear does! He has sewn on features that are safe for little ones.

So I found the child for the bear. I just never imagined that this was how it would happen when I picked him up at that sale.

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. The Velveteen Rabbit has got to be one of the saddest stories ever written. I'm glad the bear has a child.

    ReplyDelete