Saturday, April 3, 2010

A few days of firsts and an important third

Four generations on Mama's side: Great-grandmother Wilmajean Coate, "Oma" Betty Mesch, "Mama" Regan O'Keefe and ME! Pictures taken 3/30/10 by JC Penney portrait studios--and included because Mama thinks it's always good to have a picture in blog posts!


I have passed quite a few milestones over the last couple of days. Yesterday I did some "real" walking. Not just a leap of steps, but actual balanced footfalls. Standing in between sometimes. (No video yet--but I'm sure it's coming eventually.)

I added another word to my vocabulary that the adults in my life can understand--so in addition to Da (da-da, da-dee) and Bah (for bottle), I can say "kih-chee" while looking at the kitty. (Romulus in this case.) (Mama says my first word was "yeah!" from a couple of months ago--used appropriately when I was excited about bouncing--but she's not sure it counts.)

I've also improved my skills at going down stairs without tumbling. But I get excited and still scare Mama when I turn around and look like I'm going to lose my balance. Since I don't do well with pain, I guess she has reason to be concerned.

As my balance is improving, so is my reach. I heard Mama saying something about doing yet another round of baby-proofing and reduction of clutter. She says that she's proud of me even though I'm driving her a bit nuts.

Fans have been added to power cords on the list of absolute no-nos for touching. My fingers are still small enough to go through the guards and Mama thinks I might end up bloody one of these days. They keep telling me "no" when I am checking out the trash cans, too. Of course, they also do that with the kitties...although the squirt bottle works better on kitties than it does on me.

Aunt June invited Mama and I to the Children's Museum yesterday, and I did pretty well until I got tired. Mama is thinking that a membership might be an excellent birthday present for me. She'd also like to suggest more sippy cups (she likes the one by Gerber, does not like and has misplaced the one by Nuby) and perhaps a pull toy or two. Beyond that, she's not sure what one-year-old babies need!

No comments:

Post a Comment